Sunday, June 3, 2012

" Fake It ... "


it's a rush
keep your eyes on the ball
make them believe you have it all
it's a show
whatever you do don't let them know
you're just a tragic kid
sex, drugs and rock'n'roll
biggest cliché ever told ... 
bring it on
the hair and the make up
get that badass attitude
hit the stage
like you got no future
crank those marshalls till they die
jack daniels and money talks
life is good when you're on the rocks ...
fake it, you gotta fake it till you make it
~ Big Boy ~ Fake It ~
***
You may be familiar with the saying “fake it till you make it” ... you know, the recommended behaviour to “pretend” until we are the real thing ... hmmm, so along the same lines, is it acceptable to fake kindness or love ... pretending to care as an alternative to showing that you don’t?  
Believe it or not, some people think so because they start out pretending to care, next thing you know, they actually do care ... because they like the positive feedback ~ the way it makes them feel.  So first you pretend, then it turns into the real thing.  
No harm done right?
Yet what about the authentic experience?  Are we not just trying to brainwash ourselves?  Think about it ... when you “put on a happy face”, it induces greater happiness.  When we pretend to laugh, we sometimes make ourselves really laugh.  And when we recite affirmations, are we not trying to convince that inner voice that maybe knows better?
Possibly before very long, “faking it” creates a new, authentic experience of our desired state ... so again, no harm done right?  But where does integrity fit in to all this?  Well, we lose it and we lose it quickly.  Integrity means that the ‘inside’ and  ‘outside’ are harmonious.  And instinctively, we trust people of integrity ... because we know in our heart of hearts that they are not faking it .. our soul tells us that they are worthy of our trust.  
To me it makes more sense to acknowledge my limitations and position I am in.  The best thing I can do is act within my means because there’s a fine art in managing expectations when I am aiming high and my resources are limited.  That is not to say that I don’t focus on the knowledge within and believe that I have everything I need to succeed.
I guess we all have to decide how much "fake" we can live with ...
I know building something from nothing is not easy, but lying about it won’t make me feel any better about my struggles.  I don't "pretend to care" because when I actually do care, others won't know the difference.  I choose to live without pretending, knowing that I can say I made it and didn't have to fake it ...






No comments:

Post a Comment