Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"We Are Family ..."

" Ev'ryone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(FLY!) and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose
We are family"
~ Sister Slege ~ We Are Family ~
***


We just had 3 full weeks of great family time ... Russell's Mum and her husband Ron were visiting us during their cross Canada tour.  They live in New Zealand, Russell's birthplace.  Usually it just the two of us in the house, so with Mum, Ron, and brother Tim over the house was full of energy.  Family dynamics can play a factor but fortunately we are all pretty laid back.  No expectations, just wanting to spend time together.  So we had a chance to experience all the local attractions in the city.  Most of the time, I took part in parts of the events, other times I stayed at home restricted by my therapy schedule.  And yes that was tough not being able to participate, but I know that this is temporary.  I enjoyed experiencing the love and support on a daily basis in our home.   Of course we have this already by my side of the family and friends that live here and are constantly connected to us.  It is just a little different when its in your space.  You never feel really alone.  It like a security blanket with you at all times.  And it's not smothering, it is there just in case you need it.


When you get a chance to spend some time together, you learn about each others preferences, opinions, differences and similarities.  Being in a respectful environment, you can learn a more about each other even after so many years.  And what doesn't change is the unconditional love a mother has for her son.  I could feel the strong bond Mum and Russ have.  The opportunity Mum had to see with her own eyes the sacrifices Russ makes on a daily basis to assist me on my wellness journey.  Definitely some very proud moments.  Realizing that family is love beyond words.  


During the past three weeks, I stopped and just took in all senses to remember that specific time.  Etching in my mind, remembering all that it offered.  Staying very present and still.  Allowing me to be very content.  Feeling very fortunate to have so much love in our combined families, overflowing and in abundance from parents, siblings and friends.


I know that if these were my last moments, they would be a glorious ones, a memorable ones and a happy ones.  Yet wanting more moments to reflect on, fuelling my motivation to continue winning the biggest fight of my life.

All is well in my world, all is very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment